How do you plan to kick off your 2018? No doubt you’re in planning mode - whether it’s forecasting for the coming year, building the strategy for growth and seeking new budget or plotting on how to evangelize the importance of your specialist area of across departments within your organization.
There is one common goal for those in the know; to center our businesses, objectives, internal teams and measures of success around delivering for the end customer, and ultimately, the experience they have with our brands.
Now that we’re in 2018 - firmly in the "experience era" - and digital technology is evolving faster than organizations can adapt, it’s more vital than ever before to focus on digital experience. In fact, as my colleague and CMO, Geoff Galat, wrote last year, experience is a point of real differentiation - it’s the most effective way for businesses to stand out from the competition.
Customers’ experience expectations have changed significantly. Advances in technology and their adoption by the majority of consumers have opened so many new opportunities, but they have also added a layer of complexity to what is an already confusing landscape.
So what better time to share some compelling statistics and thought-provoking quotes to add to presentations, raise at meetings or share with your colleagues to show the true value of experience. From industry leaders, research houses and brands alike, the following quotes are more relevant for CX strategies than ever before:
On customer experience
1. Customers who had an unpleasant experience on your site are 88% less likely to return to your website - Adobe
2. 85% of the adult believe that the company’s website should be as good as or better than the desktop website - visual.ly
3. “Get to know your customers. Humanize them. Humanize yourself. It’s worth it.” - Kristin Smaby
4. Loyal customers are 5x as likely to repurchase, 5x as likely to forgive, 7x as likely to try a new offering, and 4x as likely to refer - Temkin Group
5. “15 years ago, the average consumer typically used two touch-points when buying an item and only 7% regularly used more than four. Today consumers use an average of almost six touch points, with 50% regularly using more than four.” - Marketing Week
6. 50% consumers are likely to switch brands if a company doesn’t anticipate their needs - Salesforce
7. 2018 will be the year of servicing consumer needs before they even arise. Brands leveraging the right data and analytics to deliver impactful customer experiences will rise to the top - Andy Yost, CMO, Gannett
8. “Welcome to a new era of marketing and service in which your brand is defined by those who experience it.” - Brian Solis, Principal Analyst and Futurist, Altimeter
9. “The term ‘customer experience’ won’t exist in the organization of the future. It will be so deeply entrenched in a company’s product, process, and culture that it will be synonymous with the brand and represent the only way to do business” - Ann Lewnes, SVP and CMO, Adobe
On understanding the human behind the data
10. "In 2018 we’ll see more frank public discussions about what it means to bring humanity back to business. Customers and employees, alike, are craving more trust, respect, civility, and meaningful connection" - Megan Burns, CEO, Experience Enterprises
11. "CX of the future should be designed like a Disney or Pixar movie, complete with character and story development, storyboarding, and integration into a thoughtful and methodical universe where the experience is consistent, integrated, and enchanting in every moment of truth" - Brian Solis, Principal Analyst and Futurist, Altimeter
12. "When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion." - Dale Carnegie
13. “If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell 6 friends. If you make customers unhappy on the Internet, they can each tell 6,000 friends.” - Jeff Bezos
14. "Brands that demonstrate “true empathy” in the experiences they deliver will win. These experiences build powerful memories that can disrupt categories" - Alan B. Hart, Managing Partner of ATOMCK & Host of Marketing Today podcast
15. "Get closer than ever to your customers. So close that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves." - Steve Jobs
16. “Customers remember the service a lot longer than they remember the price.” - Lauren Freedman
On mobile and omnichannel experience
17. 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly-designed mobile site - SocPub
18. Google says 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead - MicKinsey & Company
19. 69% of digital media time is spent on mobile - comScore
20. Companies with the strongest omnichannel customer engagement strategies retain an average of 89% of their customers, as compared to 33% for companies with weak omni-channel strategies - Aberdeen
21. By 2020, the demand for an omnichannel customer experience will be amplified by the need for nearly perfect execution - PWC
22. 75% consumers expect a consistent experience wherever they engage (e.g., website, social media, mobile, in person) - Salesforce
23. “The shift to mobile is driven by habit...people are often at home surrounded by devices—desktops, laptops, smart-TVs—that are all objectively better for content consumption than mobiles. But people reach for their phones because they’re habitualized to them” - Tom Grinsted, the Guardian
On new technologies
24. 80% of marketers predict artificial intelligence will revolutionize marketing in the next few years - Econsultancy
25. 70% of consumers say technology has made it easier than ever to take their business elsewhere - Salesforce
26. “Becoming the default brand choice in a preprogrammed, AI and IoT-enabled world will make or break businesses" - Constellation research
27. Investment in AI will increase more than 300% this year - Forrester
28. Eight out of 10 businesses have already implemented or are planning to adopt AI as a customer service solution by 2020 - Oracle
29. 67% of people expect to see/use messaging apps when talking to a business - Chatbots Magazine
30. 40% of adults now use voice search at least once per day - Branded 3
31. Intelligent automation will manage 85% of businesses’ customer relationships by 2020 - Gartner
Make sure to bookmark this page, as I’ll be storing up more gems like these and adding them in periodically throughout the year.
If this has got your brain whirring about the future of experience, why not hear more from our CMO Geoff Galat, as he looks at how we need to move past conversion to focus on experience.